Monday 31 October 2011

Bula Wear


Bula wear is the the "traditional" wear of Fiji. It is used to describe the fabric that is then sewn into shirts for the men, and sulu jiabas for the women.  Kalavata is the term for matching bula wear worn as a uniform.  Bula is rated according to its eyecatching factor. The brighter, busier, bolder, the better.  Bula means life therefore bula wear is worn to celebrate life. Since being in Fiji I have embraced the traditional dress. It all started with a compulsory Kalavata for school, and has since expanded to 4 sulu jiaba ensembles. And I don't plan to stop there.  Bula heaven is Paddy's, closely followed by Materialized. This is where I really lose my shit. Just ask Amy, there is no point in trying to converse with me whilst I am surrounded by such luscious prints, I am well and truly overstimulated and cannot be expected to divert my attention to any other matters.



here is a pictorial list of the variety of bula wear you can expect to encounter in Fiji

BABY BULA
FAMILY BULA





















BRIGHT BULA
SCHOOL BULA
BEST BULA
PARTY BULA
BIG BULA
VILLAGE/ CHURCH BULA
MARKET BULA
KALAVATA
 currently on trend is Christmas bula wear. Result is many extra large, walking talking Christmas presents
CHRISTMAS BULA
 some of my bula wear:



Kalavata
I'm always taking orders if you are interested in joining me and embracing this energizing, ageless fashion spectcle.


cost = 3m of fabric + $10 tailoring

BULA!




No comments:

Post a Comment